Friday, June 22, 2007

TV on Comics

So it appears the new trend is continuing cancelled TV shows in comic form... Cool!
 
Last season, two of the shows my wife and I watch were cancelled: Jericho, which I was lukewarm on, and Veronica Mars, which I loved.

Both were cancelled, but recently one was renewed due to fan support, and the other seems to be headed to the graphic arts medium.

I'm glad both have been given a second change, but unfortunately the one that is best suited to comics is going to be returning to TV, and the one best suited for TV is headed to comics. Bummer.

Jericho, while an interesting story, moved too slow for TV, and could have used better writers. It's post-apocalyptic story would have been perfect for a long, on-going comic, where one good writer could have explored the new world at a nice pace, for an indefinite amount of time; kind of like Walking Dead is doing.  From the start I thought it would have made a better comic than TV show.

One of the strengths of Veronica Mars, on the other hand, was the great cast. The stories were good, but the actors really made the series a big winner.

But no, now we have each playing to their weaker elements, rather than two home runs (OK, Veronica Mars wasn't a ratings home run, but it was a fun show) we have two doubles that might get stretched into triples. (OK, I don't really care about baseball, so there was probably a better analogy there.)

Oh well. I'm still glad both are continuing in some form, and I can't wait to read the Veronica Mars series; it might even force my wife to read a comic!

No comments: