Tuesday, March 07, 2006

May 2006 Previews Picks

Another round of Previews picks. This looks to be a good month for comics. Much better than last month in my op. Last month it was relatively easy to keep within my monthly budget (after dropping the Ant statue, and forgetting to order the new Jeffery Brown book, oops (the later of which I’ll pick up from Mr. Brown at the Chicago Comicon this year – which in retrospect is the preferred route since then I can get a sketch in it.)) this month, however, is going to be a challenge. To wit:

Apocalypse Nerd #3: Latest of the new Peter Bagge series. It has been pretty good so far. It’s about 2 guys who go camping and return to find out that the end of the world has apparently arrived. I’m an old school Hate fan and loved Sweatshop, so this is a no brainer.

Hate Annual #6: The latest incarnation of Buddy and friends. See above.

Power Girl TPB: I liked #1 and loved the art, so I’m in.

Wolverine #42: Loved, loved, loved Humbertous art on Revelations, so yeah!

Spider-Man Unlimited #15: Book of the month!!!!!!!!!! 2 stories, one with art and story by KLAUS JANSON! Klaus has been my FAVORITE artist since Punisher #1, so I’m as giddy as a schoolgirl over this one. Big smiles.

Nana #3: I still have to read #1 and 2, but hate the backwards Japanese format.

Last Christmas #1 (p. 140): Co-written by Brian Posehn, enough said! Ok, maybe not… Brian is a stand-up comic you may have seen on Mr. Show, Just Shoot Me, or more recently in the completely brilliant ‘Comedians of Comedy’, which really needs to come out on DVD loaded to the max with extrees. Brian is also a huge comic nerd so this should be good.

Walking Dead vol 5 (p. 149) Latest trade in the top zombie series out now. Started a huge zombie trend in comics. Good story, not great, and so-so to lousy art, but I love end of the world stories, especially on-going ones.

Wonderland (p. 218): Sonny Liew art! Sonny Liew!

X Isle #1 (p.243): Something about people stranded on an island inhabited by weird creatures. I dunno, the preview art looked interesting.

GI Joe Elite Hunt for Cobra Commander: 25 cents. I liked the last 25 cent’er, so I’m sure I’ll like this one too. And if not, what’s a quarter?

Love as a Foreign Language (p. 314): The write-up on this one is good, and the previews on onipress.com are interesting. Manga about a North American in Korea.

Eddy Current vol 1-3 (p. 226): Another favorite artist of mine, Ted McKeever’s, classic story from the 80’s, reprinted here. Probably my second favorite creator, after Janson. Checkout his art in Eclipso #7 and 8. One of them is better, I think someone else did the breakdowns on #7, so I would imagine #8 blows it away. Compare for yourselves at home!

Borrowed Time #1 (p. 311) Checked out a preview somewhere out there and this looked interesting… aren’t I helpful?

Mm, good enuff. ckc

Oh yeah, I also pre-ordered the Castle Waiting HC at Amazon for super cheap.

No comments: