Thursday, January 18, 2007

Previews Picks January 2007

Hey, not too late this month!

ATHENA VOLTAIRE LEGEND OF MU KING #1 – I’ve heard a lot of good thing about this, so I thought I’d finally check it out.

BACK ISSUE #21 – 80’s and early 90’s Daredevil featuring Klaus Janson, John Romita Jr., Ann Nocenti, Frank Miller, and others. I was a big DD fan during the Romita\Nocenti era, Klaus is my favorite comic artist, and Frank Miller is a no-brainer, so I’m there already. Plus - Greatest Stories Never Told examines Colleen Doran's unpublished X-Men spin-off, Fallen Angels! Doran, and Fallen Angels 2? Score and score, my friend.

DYNAMO 5 #1 – A superman type dies and his widow finds his 5 illegitimate children, each who has inherited one of his super-powers. Sounds interesting enough to check out.

GRENDEL ARCHIVE EDITION HC - I have the 2 Mage HC’s so this first version Grendel is right up my alley. Apparently this is the original 3 issue mini-series that is impossible to find, and Matt Wagner calls a “draft” verision (according to Wiki). I don’t think I’ve ever read Grendel, somehow… weird.

HERO BY NIGHT #1 – A kid takes over for an old superhero (I think). Nice art, and great web site with previews: http://herobynight.net/

LEGION OF MONSTERS MAN-THING #1 – OK, seriously, penciled by Klaus Janson, and Ted Mckeever? Are you kidding me? Two of my all time favorites (one who IS my all time favorite)? Not only a must, but pick of the month, if not year. I can’t wait.

PERHAPANAUTS SECOND CHANCES TP – I’ve only read the first issue (here), but thought it was great. This is the second trade, I’ll be ordering the first as well. The story is about a team of mythical creatures, who protect humanity from other creatures who cross over into our world. The first issue was exciting, had interesting characters, and a nice dose of humor, which I like.

UNIQUE #1 – A parallel world’s story by Dean Motter of Mr. X fame. Sold.

WASTELAND BOOK 1 – Post-apocalypic earth type story, which I love. Thought the first issue was great, so I can’t wait to see where the story goes.

On the maybe list:

BPRD GARDEN OF SOULS #1 – I’ve never checked this out, but it gets great hype, and I’ve always liked Guy Davis.

CSI DYING IN THE GUTTERS TP – I liked the first issue, but I need to re-read it to see if I care enough to want the whole series. Very comic industry centeric. I think it was pretty funny.

FANTASTIC FOUR #544 – New FF team, written by Dwayne McDuffie, who I like.

ELEPHANTMEN VOL 1 WOUNDED ANIMALS HC – I need to re-read the first issue again. Not sure I need a HC though.

ESSEX COUNTY VOL 1 TALES FROM THE FARM – I’ll probably get this. Top Shelf iz gud. Gotta love this part of the copy: “Lester befriends the town's gas station owner, and former damaged hockey star, Jimmy Lebeuf. The two escape into a fantasy world of Superheroes, alien invaders and good old fashioned pond hockey.” Preview here: http://ashtraypress.com/tales.htm I think I might have just convinced myself to move this to the order list.

JEFFERY BROWNS FEEBLE ATTEMPTS – I like Jeffery Brown, but haven’t been too into his stuff recently, so this is a maybe.

Not a bad month overall.

 

No comments: