Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Podcasts

Over the last 3 years, I've taken to listening to comic podcasts quite regularly. I have been listening to talk radio here in Chicago for many years, ever since moving here in '88 and first hearing Steve Dahl and Garry Meier, so making the jump to podcasts wasn't that far a leap.

The first comic podcast I started listening to regularly, and one I still listen to, is Comic Geek Speak. They are one of the bigger comic podcasts, and have what seems to be a sizable audience; large enough in fact to support an annual convention\gathering in PA. Being into independant comics, another I listen to one regularly is one specialized in that area - Indie Spinner Rack.

Earlier this year, I started listening to another show, which has rapidly become one of, if not my favorite podcast, Geek Brunch. It follows what I find to be a unique and interesting format... for *most* shows, the two hosts, Heath and Mike, have on a guest host. They each talk about the lastest things they have been reading, watching, and eating. So the conversation, in each area, is a combination of review, humor, and general discussion. Essentially, a discussion of all things geeky, or at least, all things geeky in the areas of comics, tv, movies, and food.

One of the things I like about the show is the attitudes of the hosts; both are into the fun of comics, and geeky things, and their love of the medium shines through in each episode.

Each show I've mentioned also has a great forum community at the Comic Forums. Typically, the guests on Geek Brunch come from their forum, which brings me to the main reason I'm writing this, I am happy to announce I recently made my podcast debut on episide 76 of the Geek Brunch podcast. So if you are interested in hearing me ramble about what I love, give it a shot. It was an interesting experience, and something I plan to do again. I only hope the listeners enjoy it as much as I... probably not, but that's ok too.

No comments: